Pinterest

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Let's talk about snot.




No, not really. Well...sort of. Let's talk about how to deal with snot.


A while back, I became acutely and severly ill with the H1N1 flu. It was not pleasant. In fact, I was the most ill I have been in about 15 years, when I had strep throat as a teenager. Ugh. This illness kept me in bed, (and away from my blog! horrors!) for approximately two weeks. Not wanting to infect others, I tried to keep myself isolated as I had been told to do by the friendly doctor on the Health hotline during the outbreak. He sounded really cute, Australian, I think. I imagined he was like that hot guy on House, you know, Cameron's man...Anyhooo...While in my fever induced fantasies of hot Australian doctors, I actually gleaned some good advice from the guy. He asked me if I had a neti pot. For those of you who don't know, like I didn't, a neti pot is a teapot like device used for nasal irrigation. Huh. Who knew? Since I was deathly ill and dreaming of Australian hotties and I had no idea what he was talking about, he let me in on a little secret, which I will now pass on to you, my sensational seventeen: You don't need a neti pot. All you do is mix 1/4 tsp regular old table salt into 1 cup of regular old tepid water ( I use water from the tea kettle, cooled) and snort it up your nose. It will not hurt and you will be astounded as to what gets cleaned out of there. Congestion? Snort it. Allergies? Snort it. Runny nose? Snort it. Winter dryness? Air conditioning? You guessed it, snort it! All kinds of snot will blow out of there. It doesn't hurt, it's drug free and you can do it 1000 times a day if you like, as opposed to decongestants which you could overdose on, not to mention dry out your mucousal lining. Ever since learning about this uber-frugal health tip from my faceless, possibly Australian doctor/hero, I have been breathing easier. I thought I would pass these pearls on to you. Have a great day. Breathe easy!

2 comments:

Marti @ The Next Fifty Years said...

You just stick your nose in the water and sniff it in? How do you keep it from going to far and choking?

Bean said...

You lean forward over the sink. I haven't choked once yet.