Pinterest

Friday, December 11, 2009

Brainstorming


I get floods of ideas from reading blogs and I am grateful to all of you who share your frugal ideas with me so that I can try them for myself. I am not fantastic at linking to give credit where it is due but if you peek in my reading list, you will see my favourite frugalistas from which I derive much of my inspiration. I have been busy, as usual, but I wanted to take a few minutes to jot down some of the ideas I have been trying and some that I would like to try.


Here is what I have been up to:

I made my own recycled candles from white tapers and tea lights

I made my own dry baking mixes

Gifts in a jar, fun!

Made my own recycled gift tags from cardboard Christmas packaging

Christmas mugs filled with candy, HM holiday mocha mix, and HM chocolate dipped pretzels (YUM!) for the teacher and my coworkers

Hand made Christmas cards

handmade birthday card and recycled wrapping

cutting down on food waste by using the freezer (bananas celery mushrooms and tomatoes)

croutons and bread crumbs

making my own bread, pizza dough etc.

Coupons! I bought two DW soaps for three bucks and two deodorants for a buck each, yay!


Here is what I am working up to:


Wardrobe refashion:

I have been saving a few items of clothing that are stained or grown out of with distinguishing features. For example, a too-small, fleece pair of pants with Diego on them, I hope to fashion into a tuque and mitts for the boy. I started on a denim purse from a pair of (too)-skinny-for-me jeans and I hope to start on a few summer items for myself, so when the time comes I won't have to rush out to buy. Must work on the sewing skillz...


I must admit it has been difficult to reign myself in on the holiday shopping, but so far I have stuck to the budget and managed to keep a dollar limit per person on the gifts. I did receive an unexpected parcel from my single-no kids-more-disposable-income-than-me friend so I am wondering what I shall do to reciprocate, but I am sure I will think of something suitable.


Here is my recipe for HM holiday Mocha Mix which I adapted from a site called Bitsy's Kitchen. No idea where that link went, but if you search it, it will come up.


Holiday Mocha Mix


2/3 cup instant coffee

2/3 cup powdered milk

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp allspice

four packets of carnation hot chocolate, about 1/2 a cup of powder

a couple of tbsp of cocoa powder, for extra chocolate :)


Blend in the blender then divide into baggies for gifting. 1-2 tbsp per cup of hot water. Enjoy!


No comments: