Pinterest

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Busy hands

I had a few projects that I wanted to get done so out came the old craft box. My son and I just love doing little crafts for fun but I had some things I had been putting on the back burner for quite some time. Finally, I got them all done in one fast and furious morning craft session. I have a bunch of decorative rocks left over in my stockpile which I have had several creative ideas for, yet they remain in a bucket, unused. I originally used them in vases on the picnic tables at my camp away wedding two years ago. I have tons and tons so I am hoping I can think of a few more things to do with them, because I just love them. I may have to concede, however, and offer them up to a fellow freecycler, though, sigh. There are just so darn many of them. I started making a vase by hot gluing the smaller rocks to an applesauce jar in a mosaic-like pattern. I can't easily recycle my glass jars here, so I try to reuse and re purpose them as much as I can, or avoid buying them altogether. This bored me after a while, it was repetitive and tedious so I quit half way. I'll post a pic if and when I ever finish it. It looks pretty good, so I just might.
The other thing I did was to make fridge magnets. These were super quick. The directions are:

Uh, I glued a magnet to each rock. See? Pretty huh?

Actually, these might make a cute gift...hmmm....





The next thing I had to get done was some thank you cards. I'll admit I had a look at Walmart and I was seriously considering just buying some to save the time. They were $7 for ten boring cards. It's not bad really, just I had better ideas for my $7. So I decided to make them myself. I did buy the letter stickers, they were a dollar, but I still had card stock left from aforementioned wedding, (when I made my own invites). I had at least two cards to send for favours done for me lately and I was determined to get them out this weekend. I am trying to make more of an effort to show appreciation to the important people in my life. My son reminded me of the third one just in the nick of time, as I was making them. My son is brilliant :)


In order to keep the little one busy, so I could go with the creative flow and because I had been promising for so long, I got him started on a recycled CD fish craft. I had seen one hanging in a random car one day and thought it was such a good kid's craft. Cute, simple, recycled, it had all the elements. I also knew I already had all the materials in my tote at home. This craft is cheap like borscht and my kid loves it. We plan on making a few more to hang outside. They make great sun catchers. You can see the simple directions here: http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/fishcrafts/l/blcdfish.htm















That was quite a burst of creative energy I had. I love it when that happens.

3 comments:

Lena! said...

Hi! I stumbled upon your blog and LOVE it! It provides tons of inspiration - thank you! I'm officially following you :)

p.s. Sorry if this is a re-post - can't seem to leave a comment successfully, perhaps the site is temporarily down :(

Lena! said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bean said...

Thanks Lena,
Glad to have you!